COVID-19 Rapid Testing at AFC Swampscott
AFC Swampscott offers on-site Rapid PCR testing (results within an hour) as well as antigen and antibody testing. We advise that you consult with our staff to determine the most appropriate test for your symptoms and situation. Our state of the art true molecular, NAA (nucleic acid amplification) RT-PCR testing lab delivers certified results valid for international travel and travel to Hawaii, all in under an hour. We provide COVID testing at our facility located at 450 Paradise Road in Swampscott, just minutes away from Peabody, Salem & Lynn and can even offer results the very same day. Online booking is strongly encouraged but we are also accepting walk-in patients that require testing services.
Does my insurance cover testing?
Most insurance companies are covering the cost of COVID-19 evaluation and testing- we recommend that you reach out directly to your insurance company for confirmation before your visit. Copays and deductibles may apply, depending on your insurance company.
In general, testing for purposes that are not medically necessary (travel, return to work, return to school) is not covered by insurance. We do offer testing for these reasons (please see pricing below).
What if I want to get tested anyway for peace of mind, convenience or as a travel requirement?
If you don’t fit the medically necessary testing criteria (see above) or do not have insurance we offer very affordable rates for testing. The current pricing for testing is provided below. We strongly encourage you to discuss your condition, symptoms and reasoning for asking for testing with our staff to determine which test is most appropriate for your situation.
- Cepheid RT-PCR| $199: this is meant for patients that need to obtain timely, accurate results for travel, return to work or return to school. This testing is not covered by insurance. Results are available within 1-2 hours. Please obtain results before leaving the facility- we cannot email them.
- Abbott NAAT Molecular*| $169: this is meant for patients that need to obtain timely, accurate results for travel (NOT AN RT-PCR), return to work or return to school. This testing is not covered by insurance. Results are available within 1-2 hours. Please obtain results before leaving the facility- we cannot email them.
- Rapid Antigen| $59: this is not as accurate as a PCR but is suitable for most purposes. Results are available within 15-20 minutes. This test is covered by insurance when ordered by a medical provider. Patients can also pay for this test without needing to see a provider if testing is for a non-covered reason. Please obtain results before leaving the facility- we cannot email them.
- Broad PCR| $99: this is for patients that need the accuracy of PCR but do not need results immediately. This testing is not covered by insurance. Results are available typically by the following morning or within 24-48 hours from when the sample is sent to the lab- they are sent directly to your email.
- Labcorp PCR: this test is covered by insurance when ordered by a medical provider. Patient must see a provider for this test. Results typically take 24-72 hours (from the time the sample is sent to the lab) but may take longer. We do NOT call for negative results- please obtain them directly from the lab here: https://patient.labcorp.com/
*NORTH ANDOVER & METHUEN ONLY
If you need COVID-19 test results for travel out of country (or to certain other states with coronavirus related travel restrictions), we can also provide them to you. Please ensure to inquire about results and turn around times before finalizing your travel plans. It is your responsibility to check your destination’s requirements before you get tested. Many destinations, for example, will only accept a PCR test within 72 hours of travel. Some will accept it within 10 days of travel. Others will accept a rapid antigen test. We are unable to offer refunds if you order the test too soon, or order the wrong test. Our staff are unable to offer clear guidance on this as there are dozens of destinations, each of which have different and continuously changing requirements.
How to book a COVID-19 test
If you would like to book your test ahead of time on a particular time-slot of your choosing, you can visit our online booking system and make sure to select “COVID-19 Test” as the reason for your visit. That way you spend less time filling out paperwork when you get to the clinic for your booked time. Depending on the test recommended for you, the results should be available within the hour (for rapid testing) or in a day for antibody and PCR testing (depending on the lab). Please inquire about the current turn-around times and rest assured that we will call you as soon as your results are available. Please maintain self-isolation at home till you have received the results.